Indignant

When I was in second grade, I used to get into all sorts of trouble.  The teacher didn't like me - which I realize is an over-used excuse generally, but what I mean is that my actions and behavior caused her to NOT like me (i.e., it was an earned dislike, not an excuse).

Once we were tasked with coloring dinosaurs.  My teacher handed out sheets of white paper with black outlines of dinosaurs and we were to color them so we could each make a "Dinosaur Book".  Admirable goal, if I may say.  Who doesn't want a book of dinosaurs?  Anyway, I pulled out the trusty box of Crayola 64 and set to it.  I colored all my beasts multi-colors of the rainbow (staying within the lines, mind you).  The teacher stopped me and said to me (and the class at large) "Dinosaurs were not that color."  To which I replied, "Dinosaurs are (sadly) extinct.  How do you know what color they are? They might have been blue and yellow." 

Got in trouble for that one. Oh well. I realize this story is probably not uncommon for kids/teachers, but there were a series of these run-ins all through my second grade tenure.  This was all particularly memorable to be, because the teacher told my parents she suspected that I was ADD and encouraged my parents to get me tested.  Which they did - because back in those days, parents respected teachers and their authority.  I failed the ADD tests (which meant I was not ADD).  And in third grade I was placed in the TAG program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note here: