Fixing a Hole in the Ocean

DIY: Etched Glass

Several of my homemade gifts for the holiday were a glass product etched with Armour Etch.  I used normal white contact paper as the vinyl stencil.  All designs were made on the SIL and the images were reversed in the case where it was etched on the back of the product (plate and bowl). I also put rectangles around the designs to help me mark out the areas that would have the vinyl removed.

I cleaned the glass surface and rubbed with alcohol to assure all impurities were removed.  I used transfer tape to place the design on the glass and assured that the vinyl had no bubbles.

I masked the other areas with leftover vinyl and painter's tape.

The method that I've perfected gets a very good, deep etch.  I learned that applying with a multipurpose paint brush works great and gives maximum flexibility.  I brush on the white Armour Etch cream and go over the design in different directions for a few minutes.  I then leave the cream on the design for another few minutes.  The white Armour Etch cream is about the consistency of pudding - it will run, but more or less stays in one place.  Using the brush I return as much of the cream back into the bottle then run a gentle stream of water over the design - always using the brush to carefully and gently wash away the excess cream. The masked down stencil probably won't move, but I don't want to risk accidentally pulling up or wiping up a corner. 

After the design dries, I repeat the process a second time for a very deep etch.  After rinsing the second time, I remove all the tape and vinyl and voila!  It's done.

I found that photographing these are HARD!!

I thought the unicorn silhouette here was funny and oddly majestic (which makes it more funny).  This is on a pilsner pub beer glass.   


Ok, so I explained the process above and admit this was one of my first projects.  It didn't turn out as smooth.  There are a lot of swirls in the open portions.  Had I been more diligent it would have turned out better.   The design is applied to the back of the plate so the eating/serving surface is not disturbed.

This is an old flower vase - a great upcyle project.  "Sure do" is a family saying of ours and we put it on everything!  This ended up being a 'white elephant' gift swap item.  I was relieved to get rid of another vase (why do I have so many vases?!?!?!).

 I made salsa dishes as a gift.  These turned out GREAT.  There is a matching set of "hot" and "less hot" -- because these people do not make mild salsa!!

This is a close up of one of the peppers on the jar. All designs are applied to the 'bottom' or 'outside' of the bowls.  Therefore the food wouldn't be touching the etched portion.  (I don't know if it is safe to have the food touch the etched space - the etch material is long gone - but I just wonder whether it is more difficult to clean - so I've always etched the part that doesn't touch the food). 

 Two more beer glasses.  Totoro and Yoda.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note here: